SSLC | VANCOUVER | VICTORIA | TORONTOSPROTT SHAW LANGUAGE COLLEGE
Stay with Homestay, Feel at Home
You have decided to come to Canada to improve your English skills and we want to ensure that your time in Canada is useful, happy and fulfilling. We have personally inspected every home that we recommend as a homestay. Based on your student application, we will carefully match you with a family that we believe will help make your stay in Canada enjoyable and memorable.
We will email you a profile of your host family and, if possible, provide you with an email address so that you can correspond with your new Canadian family before coming to Canada. However, before arriving, there are a few things you should note to make your stay successful.
SSLC’s team do their best to make you feel safe and welcome from the moment you arrive in Canada and to provide you with opportunities to use your English as much as possible. One way of achieving this is by your choice to live with a Canadian family during your time in Canada.
The spirit of Canadian hospitality
Places in the heart
Your host family will:
- Provide you a clean, private room and three meals a day
- Provide a study desk and a good lamp
- Host-only 1 speaker of a particular language at one time ( eg. only 1 Japanese student )
- This may be subject to change during peak season
- Provide access to laundry facilities to each student at least once per week
- Provide internet to students as part of the Homestay fee
- Show you how to use the bus / Skytrain
- Orient you to your new neighborhood, banks, library, recreation center, etc.
- Be an English only environment.
Your host family will:
- Be considerate of family members and respect household rules
- Be responsible for your personal sundries
( eg. toothpaste, shampoo, etc. )
- Inform the family if you will not be home for dinner
- Inform the family if you will be away overnight
- Give 2 weeks notice to the family if you are changing your living arrangements.
Make an effort to participate in family activities when invited
- Invite guests to the home only with the host family’s permission
- Keep your room clean, and tidy up after yourself in common areas of the house
SSLC representatives are available to meet you at the airport and take you to your new homestay. When you leave the customs area, the person meeting you will be waiting for you in the following area holding a sign with your name on it.
“Everybody is happy and friendly in my homestay family. My homestay mom motivated me to improve my English outside of school as well. Now I can have a conversation without inhibitions. I’m really happy that I decided to come here—I can recommend it!”
“My homestay family was very good and easy to talk to. I really enjoyed the outdoor sports we did like soccer and beach volleyball. SSLC is a great school!”
“I was completely satisfied with my homestay experience. I had so many Canadian friends and everyone was always smiling and ready to help. I started in elementary and finished in upper-intermediate at SSLC. Thanks.”