Sprott Shaw Language CollegeUPDATES FROM SSLC REGARDING THE CORONAVIRUS
May 4, 2020
Dear friends, partners, and students.
BC and Ontario residents are still being asked to practice social distancing, and the current State of Emergency has been extended in both provinces for at least 2 more weeks to May 15th.
We will update everyone as soon as we have new information from our Governments.
NEW: May 25th: EPE Virtual “Evening” Program starting at 5 PM PDT to accommodate a growing demand for an evening class.
FREE TRIAL Classes: Please contact us if you are interested in a free trial class at any campus for any program. We offer 1-week free trial classes for almost all programs.
Contact us for more info, or how to access our free trial classes.
Self Isolation plan: All students who are arriving to Canada, and starting our virtual classes, please note that self-isolation is still mandatory for 14 days. We can help you settle into one of our GEC Residences, (in Vancouver), or into a Homestay. Please contact us.
Register with confidence! We are part of the CIBT Education Group.
SSLC, VIC (Career Campus), SSC (Sprott Shaw College) and GEC Residences.
CIBT Named One of America’s Fastest-Growing Companies 2020 by Financial Times
Vancouver, BC, May 4, 2020 – CIBT Education Group Inc. (TSX: MBA, OTCQX International: MBAIF) (“CIBT” or the “Company”) is pleased to report that the Company was ranked number 372 among America’s Top 500 Fastest-Growing Companies 2020 by the Financial Times. The ranking included companies from across the United States, Canada, Mexico and South America, including Brazil and Colombia. This prestigious ranking comes at an unprecedented time for many companies yet highlights the innovation and creativity these 500 businesses possess, enabling them to thrive within their respective sectors.
April 18, 2020
Dear friends, partners, and students.
Our teachers and students have comfortably settled into their daily routine of meeting in their respective virtual classrooms. We keep getting positive feedback from students telling us that they are very appreciative of all the efforts undertaken by their teachers and SSLC.
As social distancing measurements continue, as required by our Canadian Government and Local Health Authorities, our mental health is as equally as important as our daily physical exercise. At SSLC besides Zumba, we also introduced twice a week Yoga, to help calm and relax body and mind.
The BC government has introduced a program that is accessible to all BC students called Here2Talk. Chat sessions with a trained counsellor can be accessed by downloading the Here2Talk app or visiting: www.here2talk.ca
Students can speak to a counsellor by phone, toll-free at 1 877 857-3397 or direct 604 642-5212. Students calling from outside Canada can dial 1 604 642-5212 (international calling charges may apply).
As always, we also encourage all students to reach out to their advisors, or to our academic staff with any concern.
NEW! EPE Academic Pathway ESL Scholarships
Available to qualified students seeking admission to University or College this fall semester. Please contact us for more information and how you can qualify for a scholarship.
March 26, 2020
Dear Friends, partners, and students.
SSLC and VIC appreciate your understanding and patience at this challenging time.
We would like to provide you with a brief school update.
· As of March 23rd, all our classes at SSLC and the VIC Career Campus are being delivered online. Some programs started online delivery as early as March 18.
· SSLC and VIC/VICCC use Zoom, Google Classroom, Google Sheets, and Padlet to deliver classes online.
· Our teachers received extensive hands-on training, tutorials and extra support to transition to online teaching, to ensure that our students receive the same quality of teaching and attention as they would in a traditional classroom.
· Kudos to VIC Career and the TESOL department head and students for holding their first virtual science fair on March 26, 2020
· All our students at all campuses have the email or phone number of our marketers or advisers, who are also in contact with our students through Whatsapp groups or e.g Edmodo.
· After this first week of adjustment with online learning and social ”physical ” distancing SSLC is focusing on plans to connect students “after ” regular classes.
· We are offering free Zumba classes, Coffee Chats, Quiz shows or just socializing with friends, all ONLINE and more information to be provided next week.
Government Update on March 26, 2020
· As announced on March 20, 2020, international students who hold a valid study permit or had been approved for a study permit when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020, will be able to travel to Canada by air or land. They will be exempt from air travel and border restrictions. This exemption is to accommodate students who are in the middle of their course of study or who have just been approved to study in Canada but were outside Canada when the travel restrictions took effect.
· Like all travellers, including Canadian citizens and permanent residents, international students who are exempt from air travel restrictions will undergo the necessary health checks and must isolate for 14 days upon arrival in Canada.
SSLC may have a limited amount of Homestay families willing to accept students for self-isolation. Please contact us for more information. Our sister company GEC Residences, also has a limited number of “private” rooms dedicated for students who need to self isolate upon arrival to Canada.
Tuition fee freeze 2021
· SSLC and VIC Career schools are freezing all tuition, homestay and service fees for 2021.
· We are also offering special promotions for students. Please contact your regional marketer for more information.
We are closely following the Canadian Federal and Provincial authorities’ regulations and guidelines pertaining to Covid 19.
We will inform you of any further updates as the situation develops.
March 15, 2020
SSLC would like to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff during the COVID-19 outbreak. In accordance with this, we will temporarily be closing SSLC Vancouver, Toronto and Victoria campuses from Tuesday, March 17 as a preventative step.
Students arriving at school on Monday will be informed about our plan and new students will have testing and orientation. There will be no further classes this week from March 17 to 20, 2020 as SSLC transitions to online learning. Students in certain programs may be contacted by their Instructor or Advisor if it is possible to start online classes at some point this week.
Online lessons for all programs will run from March 23 to 27, 2020 and we will advise students if this date would be extended. Students will be emailed with instructions on how to access their classes online. Students can also contact the school and their advisor for assistance throughout this period.
We would like to extend our appreciation for your cooperation, flexibility and understanding. Our focus remains on the health and safety of our students and staff. Our team is closely monitoring the developments and will provide further updates as needed, and as informed by our federal and provincial authorities.